1.
Summer and I were setup on a blind date by
Natasha Simonsen: my friend from High School and Summer’s sister-in-law.
2.
Natasha and I hadn’t spoken in nine years. After
my name kept popping up in her mind as a possible date for Summer, she sent me
a message.
3.
When planning our first date, Summer suggested we
meet somewhere because, and I quote, “I don’t want you to know where I live.”
4.
Our first date was July 30th, 2011 –
we went to Guru’s, played miniature golf, and got frozen yogurt.
5.
At the time, I was living in Virginia – I was in
Provo for a mission companion’s wedding. When explaining how he and his wife
met, he dropped an insight, “When you least expect it, someone will come into
your life.” I met Summer the next day.
6.
We met for the first time on the green bench at
the cross walk in front of Guru’s on Center Street in Provo.
7.
Summer wore a flowered blouse with a cream
cardigan and jean shorts.
8.
I thought she looked so beautiful when I saw
her, I didn’t know what to say. Unthinkingly, I shook her hand, smiled, said “Hi,”
and walked away, leaving her by the bench.
9.
Summer ordered a burrito, and I got a salad. She
told me her nickname in high school was “Porker,” and she didn’t think less of
me for getting the salad.
10.
Summer beat me our first time miniature golfing (what
she doesn’t know and will be furious about is that I shanked whole 9 on
purpose) and bowling; I beat her the second in both.
11.
I was really impressed when it started to rain
and while the rest of the people golfing were running for cover, I looked at
Summer, she shrugged and said, “I’m totally fine if you are.”
12.
I struggled with how best to burst the first
date personal space bubble: should I go with the lean in? The arm bump? The
playful shove? I ended up going with the lean-in: pretext reading the score
card – Summer later confided in me that she had noticed.
13.
We discovered that we both share a healthy fear
of sharks. Shark Week was starting, and I suggested Kennedy and Cameron might
benefit from watching it, or if not that, perhaps Jaws or some other hysteria
inducing shark movie; she whole-heartedly agreed.
14.
We also discovered we share a great love for the
dancing and musical styling’s of the late great Michael Jackson.
15.
We went out again the following Wednesday; we
ate at Sammy’s, road a tandum bike (my first time – Summer still maintains that
she had the harder job sitting in the front, while I contend that I was the
force behind our progress), took a drive up the canyon, and a long walk past
her grandparent’s old house.
16.
We went out again on Friday: Owl’s game with
some of my friend’s, bowling, and watched the best of Michael Jackson DVD (my
first gift to Summer) at my friend’s condo near 7th North and 7th East.
17.
Summer held my hand the first time because I
wasn’t going to breach that bubble before she was ready.
18.
I kissed her that night, six days after meeting.
19.
We dated long distance (2099 miles) from July 30th
to mid-December.
20.
The first time I played with Summer’s kids was
at Jump On It – I still have the wrist band.
21.
Kennedy once pulled me aside and said, “I think
you should marry my mom.” “We need to get to know each other first.” “Ok…. You
should have 12 babies.”
22.
After five months of dating, seeing each other
once a month, Summer and I sent 350, 8.5x11 pages worth of text messages –
which Summer compiled, printed, bound, and gave to me as a Christmas gift.
23.
Summer’s kids have repeatedly told me I should
join the circus because I have “magic hands.”
24.
Cameron taught me my best dance move – the double
fisted, pointed finger, trot.
25.
Our favorite game to play is the hiding game –
where they hide under the cushions, and I try to see them hiding.
26.
Summer and I became exclusive while opening
Valentine’s gifts near Aspen Grove.
27.
In April, while visiting my sister Amelia and
friend Reed, and while Summer tried out for the Voice a second time, we sent a
picture of Summer wearing an engagement ring as an April fool’s joke; some
people did not think it was funny, and many of my nieces and nephews were
confused.
28.
My favorite date was making fondue from scratch
with Summer in my place in DC.
29.
My second favorite date was painting
blindfolded.
30.
On our one year anniversary, Summer made a DVD for
me of her singing “I Won’t Give Up,” by Jason Mraaz; until then she had refused
to sing for me.
31.
I had bought an engagement ring in April; we
didn’t get engaged until August even though I proposed on July 30 (our
anniversary).
32.
Summer and I both went to BYU and graduated in
under 4 years.
33.
We were both born in California.
34.
We both have a fixation with eating healthy,
raw, simple foods.
35.
We both agree that Willow is Val Kilmer’s best movie.
36.
We both love to dance.
37.
But Summer is a beach bum, and I am a mountain
man.
38.
I love the winter; Summer loves summer.
39.
Summer is the second of four; I am the seventh
of seven.
40.
I love dogs; Summer hates them.
41.
Summer said she would never marry an attorney; I
am an attorney.
42.
Summer ‘s favorite superhero is Superman; my favorite
superhero is Batman (obviously).
43.
I am an introvert; Summer is an extrovert.
44.
Summer is a verbal; I am a task.
45.
Summer and I are different people, but we are ok
with that.
46.
We both believe family is first; that no success
can compensate for failure in the home.
47.
We don’t like the term “insta-family” (or “insta-dad”)
because it takes more than marriage to make a family (or a dad).
48.
We both believe that you don’t find a soul-mate,
you become one through commitment, work, and vulnerability.
49.
We both know the worst about the other and still
love without reservation or inhibition.
50.
We both believe that the best is yet to come.
LOVE! And since you both know me...will also know that I love that I'm the first to comment! ;) So happy for the both of you. I've known Summer for as long as I can remember and like to think she's more like a little sister (although, I think I've learned more from her than she'll ever know)e. You two are such a great match and I've never seen Summer happier-so thank you Peter! I know you'll be such an amazing force for good in the world and can't wait to see what you two will do and create together!
ReplyDeleteAh...Peter you are a romantic! Print this out and stick it in your journal for posterity, okay? We can't wait for you guys to finally tie the knot! Emy
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! This is great
ReplyDeleteYou guys don't really believe Michael Jackson is dead do you? The naivety of youth.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. Peter- I can't wait to meet you someday. Summer is just about the most special girl I've ever met in my life. We've been friends since we were babies (our moms are very dear friends) and I am so happy to see HER so happy. I especially loved #48- it's 100% true. Congrats to you both. Love you Sum!
ReplyDelete